Original Linocut - Garlic
This reduction print is based on the garlic cloves that perch on the little shelf above my cooker. They are sometimes illuminated so beautifully by the cooker hood lights, and it makes them look like a little still life with the dark grey wall behind. It was only a matter of time before I would make a print of the simple but beautiful shadowy scene that plays out each evening above my cooker.
- colour: custom deep grey-brown Hawthorn Stay Open Printmaking Ink - 7-layer reduction print
- paper: Fabriano Unica printmaking paper, 50% cotton, off-white, smooth, 250 gsm.
- print size: approx 16.5 x 13cm
- paper size: approx 22.5 x 18 cm
- numbered and signed
- limited edition of 23, no further prints can be made as the block is gradually detroyed in the process.
I design and carve each motif into linoleum before inking the plate and printing it using Alma, my 130 year old Victorian cast iron manual book press. For a reduction print, the same block is used and gradually carved away. This print is a 7 layer reduction print, the block was carved and printed 7 times to create this image. There will be variations between each print, making each one unique. This is especially the case for background layer, which in some prints is more 'velvety' in apperance and in other prints is flatter and smoother.
*please be aware that this print is small (the garlic bulbs in the print are slightly smaller than life size - and I don't mean the giant elephant garlic bulbs you can buy!) and also, that the finish is shiny in parts of the print - this is caused by the oil-based inks drying on top of each other. I have tried to capture the shine in some of the pictures. *