Add To Your WishlistMultiblock Linocut 1-day Workshop
- The art of printing several colours by carving multiple coordinating plates
This intermediate workshop is designed for students who have already attended a beginner's workshop or those who are fairly confident at carving (you will need to carve 2-3 blocks with relative ease and speed).
In this 6-hour workshop, you will be guided through all the stages of making a multiblock print, from designing, planning layers, making a registration system, carving 2-3 plates and experimenting with inking techniques to create different effects.
All the tools and equipment will be provided. The workshop is designed to teach you the techniques for multiblock printing with plenty of time for experimentation and asking questions, so that you will leave with skills to take your own printmaking practice further.
You will take home your registration system, all the prints and blocks you make on the day, as well as an extensive information sheet of the many printmaking equipment options available. [*I will not provide any tools to take home*]
What you'll use during the workshop:
- traditional art lino, 10cm square or A6 size
- carving tools (Pfeil, Japanese, flexcut)
- soft and hard brayers
- professional oil-based inks
- extender (to create translucent ink)
- printmaking papers
- a Victorian cast-iron book press and a Woodzilla lever press
- hand printing equipment - bone folders, wooden spoons, bamboo barens
- greyboard and mountboard to make a registration system
- material to make printing masks if required for your design
- honing devices (slipstrop, honing compound, leather)
What to bring:
You are very welcome to bring your own designs / sketches, and there are vintage books and illustrations here for for inspiration should you need it. If you already own carving tools it's a good idea to bring these along so you learn new skills with familiar tools as well as those used in the workshop. Please wear old clothes or a craft apron, because ink does get everywhere! I will provide tea, coffee and biscuits but please being your own packed lunch.
Days: Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and occasionally Saturdays - we'll arrange a day to suit
Time: 9:30 am to 3:30 (6 hours)
Location: central Maidstone, Kent (address will be provided upon booking)
Parking: Free parking on the road (please allow time to find parking spaces).
Refreshments: Tea / coffee / biscuits provided throughout the workshop. Please bring your own lunch.